The different stages of a woman’s life, like menstruation, pregnancy and menopause, can cause various changes in her body (1). If proper health is not maintained during these phases, women can suffer from many disorders and health issues.
Therefore, Ayurveda strongly advocates the use of herbs and herbal remedies in women’s diets. These Ayurvedic herbs work as a female tonic that helps rejuvenate the reproductive system, reduce stress, calm the nervous system, regulate the healthy menstruation cycle, etc.
Best Ayurvedic Herbs for Women
Shatavari is one of the best Ayurvedic herbs for women. It acts as an aphrodisiac and reproductive tonic and helps boost the overall health of women. Some of the benefits offered by Shatavari include:
- Promoting or increasing the flow of a mother’s milk (2) (3)
- Reducing symptoms of menopause (1) (2) (3)
- Relieving anxiety and depression (2)
- Treating reproductive disorders (3)
- Fighting oxidative stress (2)
How To Use Shatavari?
Take ½-1 teaspoon of Shatavari powder and mix it with honey or milk. Take this remedy twice a day.
Ashoka is an excellent herb in Ayurveda for improving the health of the uterus and reproductive system. Some of the key benefits offered by Ashoka include:
- promoting a healthy menstruation cycle (4)
- reducing abdominal pain and cramps during menstruation (4)
- soothing the nervous system, and (5)
- managing heavy menstrual bleeding by toning the uterus(4)
How To Use Ashoka?
Take a ¼-½ teaspoon of Ashoka root powder and mix it with honey or water. Take this concoction after meals for the best benefits. You can also take Ashoka in the form of tablets, capsules or Kwatha.
Fenugreek or Methi has been known to be a highly beneficial home remedy for women. It helps to (16):
- Improve digestion (6)
- Promote lactation (6)
- Treat reproductive disorders (7)
- Improve libido, and (6)
How To Use Methi?
Soak 1-2 tablespoons of Methi seeds overnight and drink the water in the morning. Alternatively, you can also take Methi powder, as recommended by your doctor.
Ashwagandha is one of the most popular herbs in Ayurveda, and rightly so. For women, Ashwagandha helps to:
- Nourish the body tissues (11)
- Reduce stress and anxiety (8) (17)
- Improve libido (10)
- Reduce inflammation (8)
- Aid in weight loss (9)
How To Use Ashwagandha?
You can take a ¼-½ teaspoon of Ashwagandha powder with milk or honey or as prescribed by the doctor. Alternatively, you can also drink Ashwagandha tea or take the herb in the form of tablets or capsules.
Ayurveda recommends using the stem of this Ayurvedic herb to treat several female health problems. It offers an array of benefits to women, such as:
- calming the nervous system (13)
- reducing stress (13)
- fighting inflammation, and (12)
- preventing free radical damage (13)
How To Use Guduchi?
You can take Guduchi in the form of powder, capsules, juice or Kwatha in the dosage prescribed by the doctor. Ideally, a ¼-½ teaspoon of Guduchi powder is recommended with lukewarm water or honey.
Yashtimadhu is also called Liquorice or sweet root since it is sweet in taste. Ayurveda recommends the use of Yashtimadhu for the following:
- treating health problems pertaining to menopause (1)
- reducing inflammation in the body (14)
- balancing Vata and Pitta Dosha, and (15)
- managing symptoms of premenstrual syndrome (PMS) (15)
How To Use Yashtimadhu?
The best way to use Yashtimadhu or liquorice is by making tea. For this, boil a liquorice root in water for 3-4 minutes and then strain it. Alternatively, you can also take a ¼-½ teaspoon of liquorice powder with water before meals.
The Final Takeaway
There are many herbs in Ayurveda that help promote the health of women and reduce the risk of several diseases. These herbs are easily available in the market in the form of roots, powder, capsules, tablets or Kwath. However, you must always consult an Ayurvedic doctor before consuming any herb.