The practice of using fermented rice water to wash or rinse hair is quite ancient and is believed to have originated in Japan, where the secret of long tresses of the women was attributed to the use of rice water. The magical qualities of rice water are said to be due to the presence of inositol, which is a nutrient that strengthens the hair from within. In India, too, rice water or “kanji” has been extensively used as a popular Ayurvedic remedy for eczema. Rice bran, too, is known to enhance the growth of hair.
Benefits of Rice Water for Hair
There are umpteen benefits of rice water for hair, and it is viewed as a panacea for all hair problems. However, as is the case with nearly every hair treatment method, the results are achieved only with correct and consistent use.
Hair is the outcome of 18 diverse amino acids that combine to form protein and keratin. Rice water contains 8 of these amino acids, making it excellent for healthy hair. Rice water not only protects your hair from dust and heat pollution, but also helps in maintaining optimum moisture levels of the shafts of hair.
Some of the primary benefits are mentioned below:
- Rice water makes hair smoother and shinier
The amino acids help to facilitate the new and quicker development of hair, besides making it smoother and shinier.
- Rice water helps in detangling hair
Rice water helps to smoothen the cuticles, thus reducing surface friction and preventing your hair from tangling.
- Rice water makes hair grow stronger and longer
Inositol present in rice water performs its magic and offers protection to your hair even after you have washed it off. It puts a halt to hair fall, while simultaneously augmenting hair growth.
Besides these benefits, using rice water to rinse hair is believed to increase the hair’s elasticity and add volume. Rice water is also efficacious when used as a shampoo or conditioner because it improves the texture of hair. Fermented rice water has far greater advantages in comparison with plain rice water because it serves as an anti-dandruff and anti-itch agent.
How to Prepare Rice Water?
To prepare rice water, all you need is 1 cup rice and 1 cup water.
- The first step is to get rid of any dirt or impurities that may be present in the rice. To achieve this, you may rinse and strain your rice.
- Combine the strained rice with water in a medium-sized bowl. You should mix the combination until the water turns a tad cloudy.
- Strain the rice again. This time, however, reserve the water. Store the rice for later use or cook it up.
- Pour the rice water into a container and cover it. Let this rice water sit at room temperature for 12-24 hours. This helps in the process of fermentation, wherein all the useful vitamins and minerals come out. There is a word of caution though: do not let the water sit for more than 24 hours because it will go bad. So, do not forget to take it along with you into the shower.
- Refrigerate the fermented rice water until you are ready to use it for your hair.
- Fill a small container, such as a travel-sized bottle of shampoo or a small jar, with the rice water for successful application. You can store the rest in your refrigerator.
It’s not an easy task to blindly pour rice water from a large container onto your hair. Just make sure that you do not forget to take the container that contains the rice water out of the shower and back to the refrigerator after you are done.
The rice water can be kept in the refrigerator for nearly a week; therefore, you have ample time to reap its fantastic hair benefits.
How to Use Rice Water?
You need not change your hair-washing schedule because of the rice-water rinse. You can simply use the rice water after shampooing and conditioning, which could be once every day or 2-3 times a week.
When applying fermented rice water, focus on the scalp and then work your way out. Let it sit for approximately 2-5 minutes before rinsing it all off. You may probably notice immediately the strength and thickness imparted to your hair.
On a Final Note:
Using fermented rice water to rinse your hair is probably one of the most noticeable and efficient DIY beauty solutions that exist. Just make sure that you do not forget to take the rice water along with you into the shower.