Hair fall is one of the most common problems that affect millions of people globally. It is often associated with either physical or emotional stress or sometimes both. Also, nutritional deficiency might impact the growth and structural appearance of the hair. Some of the common problems, such as the itchy scalp, dandruff, and air pollution contribute to the risk of hair fall.
In most of the hair loss cases, hormonal imbalance, environmental factors, stress, scalp infections, medications, iron-deficiency anemia, certain autoimmune diseases (such as alopecia areata that attacks the hair follicles), and diet are the most common causative factors for hair fall. In women, hormonal changes during pregnancy, childbirth and those resulting from the discontinuation of birth control pills can cause hair loss.
Hair loss between 50 to 100 strands per day is considered to be normal. Hair falls more than usual determines an underlying cause, which would require a prompt treatment or remedy to minimize the hair fall. Despite years of extensive research, enhancing hair growth remains to be a hit and miss.
Although there are numerous commercial products available in the market, natural home remedies are always effective and affordable in controlling the hair fall. The following are some of the ideal home remedies that help to deal with hair loss and regulate hair growth:
Fenugreek or methi seed paste
- Fenugreek is a popular Indian spice that contains lecithin, which helps to moisturize the hair and prevent breakage.
- When methi seed paste is applied to the scalp and hair, it promotes hair growth and strengthens hair shafts, thereby preventing hair loss.
- To make methi seed paste, fenugreek seeds should be soaked in water overnight and grind them to make a fine paste of it.
- Apply the fenugreek seed paste on the hair and scalp, for a few minutes and rinse it thoroughly.
- Repeat this twice a week to improve hair growth.
- Aloe vera has high nutrient content, which aids to delay hair loss and can even cause hair regrowth.
- Apart from nourishing the hair, aloe vera caters various benefits to the scalp as well.
- The proteolytic enzymes of aloe vera remove the dead scalp cells, cleanse the pores, and help to unclog the hair follicles.
- Its alkalizing properties help in maintaining the scalp pH at desired levels.
- Coconut milk is rich in essential nutrients, such as iron, potassium, and fatty acids that provide required nutrition to the scalp.
- Also, these ingredients penetrate through the hair shaft and seal the moisture, thereby protecting the hair against heat and pollutants.
- The fatty acids bind to the keratin and prevent the breakage of the hair strands.
- Therefore, applying fresh coconut milk to the scalp for a few hours before washing the hair can be effective.
- Applying egg mask to the hair is one of the oldest remedies to treat hair breakage and hair loss.
- Egg white is high in nutrient content and exhibits restorative properties.
- It contains high levels of iodine, phosphorus, iron, selenium, sulfur, and zinc that helps to replenish the lost hair with softer, shiny, and healthier hair.
- Lemon juice is highly recommended in place of harsh shampoos, as its low pH cleans the oil and dead cells on the scalp.
- Applying lemon juice on the scalp nourishes the hair follicles, reduces the oil on the scalp, eliminates dandruff, and prevent hair loss.
- Amino acids, such as L-lysine and cysteine play a significant role in maintaining healthy hair.
- Intake of plenty of amino acids through a healthy diet, which includes eggs, fish, meat, cottage cheese, nuts, seeds, and whole grains can be beneficial for hair health.
- Reduced blood circulation and oxygen can cause the death of the scalp cells.
- Onion juice is rich in sulfur content, which helps in promoting blood circulation to the scalp.
- Thus, applying onion juice on the hair and scalp controls hair loss and stimulates the regeneration of hair follicles.
- Indian gooseberry or amla, which is rich in vitamin C exhibits antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, exfoliating, and antioxidant properties that promote the growth of healthy and thick hair.
- Massaging the scalp with natural oils, such as coconut oil, amla oil, castor oil, olive oil, argan oil, and wheat germ oil promotes relaxation and improves blood flow to the hair follicles.
- Potatoes are rich in specific vitamins and minerals that provide nutrition to the hair strands.
- Applying potato juice onto the scalp prevents premature balding and drying of the hair.
By implementing the measures as mentioned above, one can easily fix the hair fall problem without any side effects. Also, these natural remedies allow the hair to grow stronger and attractive by supplying adequate nutrients for healthy hair.