Erectile dysfunction is a condition in which the person is unable to maintain an erection during sexual intercourse. The term erectile dysfunction is applicable if trouble in erection frequently occurs for up to several weeks or months.
Erectile dysfunction (a.k.a impotence) is not normal but has become more common since the year 1990. Approximately 150 million men are affected by erectile dysfunction throughout the globe. Studies have demonstrated that erectile dysfunction affects 40% of men with the age of 40 years and 70% of men with the age of 70 years.
Not all men have a similar type of erectile dysfunction. Some men cannot develop an erection, and some may develop erection but fail to maintain it throughout the intercourse.
A wide range of factors including age, certain medical conditions (high blood pressure, high blood cholesterol, obesity, and diabetes), medications, injuries, social habits, and psychological conditions contribute to erectile dysfunction.
Fortunately, there are several options to treat erectile dysfunction. This includes medications, vacuum pump, implants, and surgical procedures, but according to studies men mostly prefer natural ways to manage erectile dysfunction.
This article focuses on 7 surprising ways to treat erectile dysfunction naturally.
- The root extract of Panax ginseng is considered as an effective alternative therapy for erectile dysfunction.
- Research suggested that taking 600 to 1000 mg of Panax ginseng extract three times a day causes relaxation of muscle in the penis and promotes blood flow.
Thus, it helps in maintaining an erection and treats erectile dysfunction.
- Panax ginseng also has several medicinal properties, which helps in preventing certain medical conditions that may contribute to erectile dysfunction.
- Rhodiola rosea is considered as the natural sex booster. It improves the action of certain receptors in the brain that are important for sexual function.
- According to some studies, taking 150 to 200 mg of Rhodiola rosea three times a day for three months is an effective way to treat erectile dysfunction.
- Amino acids, such as L-arginine and Propionyl-L-carnitine are naturally present in the body. They are also obtained from certain food sources, such as peanuts, soybeans, and pumpkin seeds.
- Amino acid supplements help in making nitric oxide, which helps in widening the blood vessel and improves blood flow to the penis. Thus, it facilitates a successful erection.
- DHEA is a steroid hormone that is similar to testosterone (male hormone). Based on certain scientific evidence low levels of testosterone also cause erectile dysfunction.
- Taking DHEA supplements improves testosterone levels in the body and treats erectile dysfunction.
- Yohimbe is an herbal supplement obtained from the bark extract of yohimbe tree. Yohimbe widens the blood vessel and promotes blood flow to the penis, thereby it helps in the treatment of erectile dysfunction.
- Yohimbe is associated with several serious side effects, such as high blood pressure, irritability, and tremors. So, never use yohimbe supplements on your own.
- Acupuncture is a type of alternative medicine; wherein thin needles are inserted at specific points to treat pain and other conditions.
- Based on certain scientific evidence the use of acupuncture in erectile dysfunction has restored sexual activity and improved the quality of erection.
- Yoga is a drug-free remedy to relax both body and mind. It has several benefits besides weight loss and trimming of the body.
According to some studies, practicing yoga regularly treats erectile dysfunction by:
Strengthening the perennial muscles to maintain the erectile rigidity during intercourse
- Increasing testosterone levels
- Improving blood flow to the penis
Other alternative ways to manage erectile dysfunction:
Lifestyle modifications play a key role in the treatment of erectile dysfunction. This includes the following:
Regular exercise: It is an effective way to improve overall health and manage certain conditions that may increase the risk of erectile dysfunction.
Healthy diet: Eating a lot of vegetables, fruits, wholes grains reduce the risk of heart diseases, diabetes, and other conditions that may cause erectile dysfunction.
Quit smoking and alcohol: Smoking and consumption of alcohol cause several health problems. Eliminating these activities reduces erectile dysfunction risk.
Erectile dysfunction is not only a sexual problem but can be a sign for several health conditions. There are several effective cures and natural ways to treat erectile dysfunction. If one treatment option fails another might work, it is always recommended to consult a doctor for a suitable treatment option.