Bhringraj or Eclipta alba (Eclipta alba), is an ayurveda herb that has been widely used in traditional medicine. It is a common weed that mostly occurs as a weed in paddy growing fields. Eclipta alba is beneficial for liver problems, hair growth, and eye health.
What is Eclipta alba?
Eclipta alba is a widely used annual herb that belongs to the family Asteraceae. It is also known as bringraj and false daisy. Eclipta alba is native to India and Southwest America, which mostly grows in tropical and subtropical countries, such as China, Brazil, and Thailand. It is a creeping herb that grows up to 3 meters in height.
It is a branched herb that has white colored flowers and lance-shaped leaves in the opposite direction. The flowers and leaves of Eclipta alba are used to make supplements that are used as medicine either internally or topically. In China and Brazil, Eclipta alba is used as an anti-venom for snake poisoning.
What are the benefits of Eclipta alba?
Some of the most common uses of Eclipta alba are given below:
- Jaundice affects the functioning of the liver and causes discoloration of the skin.
- Eclipta alba can be used as a part of the detoxification regime and has also been used in treating hepatitis as well as liver sicknesses.
- In ayurveda, rubbing the fresh leaves of bhringraj directly on the affected gums is known to relieve toothache.
- Several studies state that Eclipta alba has equivalent pain-relieving effects as that of codeine and aspirin.
- Eclipta alba boosts hair growth by maintaining the strength and health of hair.
- Also, it is mixed with shampoos to prevent the dryness of the hair, reduce dandruff, and moisturize the scalp.
- Eclipta alba is used as an expectorant in people suffering from chronic respiratory infections.
- Also, it relives cough and congestion resulting from common cold, influenza, as well as chest infections.
- In ayurveda medicine,taking Eclipta alba orally can calm down the stomach disturbances, such as upset stomach, indigestion, and constipation.
- It contains a variety of chemicals and organic compounds that help to restore normal functionality.
Urinary tract infections (UTIs):
- It neutralizes the bacteria and eases the discomfort, thereby helping to restore the bladder discomfort.
- Eclipta alba has found to be providing soothing and analgesic effects, thereby helping to relieve the uncomfortable condition of hemorrhoids.
- Bhringraj is a good source of carotene, an antioxidant that helps to eliminate the free radicals that can result in the formation of cataracts and macular degeneration
- Adding Eclipta alba to herbal diet regime can improve the overall vision.
- Eclipta alba has shown to inhibit the growth of cancerous cells in the liver.
- Eclipta alba disrupts the DNA molecules that help in the proliferation of cancer cells, thereby exhibiting cytotoxic effects and killing the mutated cells.
Improves heart health:
- As per research,Eclipta alba might be beneficial in reducing the blood pressure and cholesterol levels.
- The ability to reduce blood pressure may be associated with its diuretic effects.
What are the medicinal properties of Eclipta alba?
The following are the medicinal properties of Eclipta alba:
- Antimicrobial effects:
Eclipta alba is known to be effective against nine strains of bacteria, which included E.coli and Staphylococcus aureus.
The juice made out of Eclipta alba can be used as a natural gargle to protect the gums from infection and strengthen the gums.
- Analgesic effects:
Due to its analgesic effects, Eclipta alba is traditionally used as a pain reliever.
- Expectorant property:
Eclipta alba possesses expectorant properties that help in treating cough and congestion associated with influenza, cold, and chest infections.
- Diuretic effects:
The diuretic property of Eclipta alba helps in promoting urination.
It exhibits antioxidant properties by eliminating the free radicals, thereby, helping to protect and restore clear vision.
- Anticancer activity:
The ethanol extract of Eclipta alba is known to exhibit anticancer properties.
What are the side effects of Eclipta alba?
Eclipta alba is considered to be safe and so far, there are no known reported side effects of the herb.
Using Eclipta alba safely:
Pregnancy and breastfeeding: Although breastfeeding mothers can use Eclipta alba, pregnant women should consult a doctor before using the herb.