Trikatu commonly known as trikatu churan , is a simple mixture of three Indian herbs, i.e., kali mirch (Piper nigrum), pipali (Piper longum), and dry ginger (Zingiber officinale) in 1:1:1 ratio. It is used for curing conditions like high cholesterol, obesity, infection, gastric problems, and many more.
What is trikatu?
In Sanskrit, “tri” means three and “katu” means herbs, and “chruana” means powder. It is a combination of three Ayurvedic herbs namely Sunthi (dry ginger), Marchi (black pepper) and Pippali (long pepper). It is also known as trikatu choornam, trikatu corona, kasutraya churan, or katautraya churan. It is widely used for treating respiratory and digestive related conditions. This churan is readily available in the market or can even be made at home. The churan has a hot potency and pungent taste. It is a natural stimulant and is good for spleen, liver, and pancreas.
What are the benefits of trikatu?
Trikatu can be used for treating the following conditions:
- It aids in improving the digestion by increasing the fire elements in the body that helps in proper digestion and increase appetite.
- It is recommended to take ½ to 1 teaspoon trikatu churan one hour before a meal.
- Trikatu churan helps in improving the immunity.
- Trikatu churan aids in weight loss, as it increases the metabolism of the body.
- Taking one teaspoon of trikatu, half an hour before a meal is beneficial in reducing weight.
Asthma and respiratory disorders:
- Trikatu churan has hot potency, due to which it reduces the mucus production in the lungs and helps in treating asthma, and respiratory diseases like bronchitis.
- Taking ½ to 1 teaspoon of trikatu churan with honey, half an hour before lunch helps in subsiding asthma symptoms.
- Taking ½ to 1 teaspoon of trikatu churan, one hour before a meal is effective in reducing cholesterol levels in the blood.
Irritable bowel sydrome:
- Trikatu churan aids in treating gas combined with mucus in stool, cramps, and diarrhea by normalizing the digestive fire.
- Trikatu churan aids in relieving body pain due to the cold climate, as it makes body warm and reduces the body pain.
- Trikatu has aphrodisiac property that aids in strengthening the reproductive function, energizing and warming the reproductive organs.
- It also helps in maintaining a healthy sexual life and increasing sperm count.
Thyroid gland disorder:
- Trikatu churan along with prawal pitol or godanti bhasma is effective in healing thyroid problems.
- Taking trikatu with jaggery, haritaki, and sesame oil for one month is effective in curing skin diseases.
Cold and cough:
- Trikatu helps in removing cold and congestion by its strong heating effect.
What are the medicinal properties of trikatu?
Trikatu has several medicinal properties, such as:
- Digestive stimulant
What are the side effects of trikatu?
Trikatu is usually safe when consumed in the recommended dose. However, increased intake may result in the following side effects:
- Heat sensation in the body
- Burning taste
- Burning sensation in the throat
- Mouth ulcers
- Redness or burning sensation in eyes
Using trikatu safely:
The safe dose of trikatu is 125 mg to 500 mg per day. The maximum intake of trikatu is 1000 mg per day. People with the following conditions should avoid taking trikatu:
Women with high-risk pregnancy should avoid taking trikatu as it may increase body heat, raising the risk of abortion.
A person with a bleeding disorder should avoid taking trikatu.
Constipation with hard and dry stool:
People suffering from constipation with hard and dry stool or having bleeding with the stool should avoid consuming trikatu.
People who have skin diseases with symptoms of burning sensation should not take trikatu.
A person with red eyes should avoid consuming trikatu as it may increase body heat and worsen the condition.
People having vomiting with sour vomitus should not take trikatu.
People having a burning sensation in throat, abdomen, feet, and hand should avoid consumption of trikatu.
A person having heartburn should avoid taking trikatu as it may increase the body heat and worsen the condition.
People suffering from dyspepsia should avoid consumption of trikatu.