The literal meaning of Khichdi is mixture. It is ideally made using two grains.
Khichdi is easy to digest and very nourishing. There are many variations of Khichdi depending upon individual preferences.
Those with vata and kapha dosha may add a pinch of ginger powder, and others with pitta dosha must avoid the mustard seeds.
- Mung dal (split yellow)-1 cup
- Ginger root, chopped or grated- 1/2 to 1 inch
- A bit of mineral salt (1/4 tsp. or so)
- Coriander powder- 1/2 tsp.
- Whole cumin seeds- 1/2 tsp.
- Turmeric powder- 1/2 tsp.
- Asafoetida (hing)- 1 pinch
- Handful of fresh coriander leaves
- 1 and 1/2 cups assorted vegetables (optional)