Postnatal pregnancy is the specific stage after the baby has been delivered. In this phase, the focus of yoga is on bringing back the woman’s body to its pre-pregnancy status. This phase lasts for a period of 6 weeks after the child has been born.
Importance of Yoga Post Pregnancy
Several changes occur in the body of a woman during pregnancy. These changes lead to a lot of stress on all parts of a woman’s body. Weight gain during pregnancy (because of the added need of consuming more than usual nutrients) leads to both physical as well as mental stress after delivery. Losing weight (especially stubborn belly fat) post-delivery can be quite a strenuous task; however, practising yoga daily can yield fantastic results when it comes to weight loss post-pregnancy.
Yoga Asanas to Reduce Weight and Belly Fat Post Pregnancy
Makara Adho Mukha Svanasana (Forearm/Dolphin Plank Pose)
This asana is an intermediate level, rejuvenating yoga pose that helps in toning the abdominal muscles, thus eliminating belly fat. Let us see how to perform this asana.
- Begin in Adho Mukha Svanasana (Downward-Facing Dog) and gradually shift your body weight to the front.
- Make sure that the shoulders are properly aligned with the wrists.
- Slowly, lower both your arms until the forearms touch the floor. Your palms must be pressed to the floor, too.
- Keeping your legs perfectly straight, position your heels directly above your toes.
- Fix your gaze downwards on the floor and ensure that your back and knees are straight.
- While you inhale, pull your abdominal muscles in slowly and relax them during exhalation.
- Stay in this pose for a few breaths before returning to Adho Mukha Svanasana.
- You may hold for a longer period as you get stronger.
Navasana Scissor Kicks
The Navasana scissor kick is one of the numerous exercises that you can perform to build and maintain the strength of your core. It also targets the lower body, which means that you are engaging multiple muscles to complete the exercise.
- Lie on your back on a yoga mat with your legs extended in front. Place your arms by the sides, with the palms facing down.
- Engage your core by successfully pressing your lower back into the mat, tucking your pelvis. Maintain this position throughout the exercise.
- Lift both of your legs off the ground approximately 6-12 inches from the starting position (which in this case is the floor).
- With your neck relaxed and your core tight, lower one of your legs towards the floor while you raise the other leg up. This is the beginning of the “scissoring” motion.
- You may perform 2 sets of 12-20 reps each. Each leg scissoring counts as a single rep.
Bhujangasana (Cobra Pose)
This asana helps in improving the strength of the abdominal muscles, thus eventually assisting in reducing belly fat.
- Lie down on your tummy, keeping your feet together and the whole body straight.
- Bring the arms below the shoulders, inhale, and then, gently lift the upper body, while keeping the waist firmly on the mat.
- Lift as much as you can without hurting yourself.
- Hold this position for around 10 seconds, then exhale and lie down while you relax.
- You may repeat this movement for 10-20 times.
Ustrasana (Camel Pose)
This asana helps in improving the flexibility and strength of both the abdominal and back muscles.
- Kneel on a yoga mat, keeping your spine erect and knees just below the hips.
- Gradually, tilt backwards as you inhale, touching each foot with your palms, one after another.
- Your arms, chest, and shoulders must be stretched through a significant arch that is formed on the lower back.
- Hold this position for nearly 8 seconds while breathing in a normal way.
- You may want to repeat this 8 times per session.
Setu Bandha Sarvangasana (Pelvic Bridging)
This asana helps in improving the strength of the abdominal muscles, thus getting rid of that stubborn belly fat.
- Lie with your back resting on a yoga mat, with the knees folded.
- Your arms should be placed by the sides of the body.
- Inhale deeply and lift the hips off the floor, while simultaneously tightening both hip and abdominal muscles.
- Hold this position for approximately 5 seconds, and then slowly descend during exhalation.
- Repeat the exercise at least 10 times.
On a Final Note:
Daily yoga practice can help you stay happy, calm, more productive, and healthy, while simultaneously toning your core and reducing belly fat post-pregnancy.