Ayurveda is an ancient Indian practice that strives to bring changes to lifestyle while using the medicinal and healing abilities of herbs. For ages, Ayurveda has been using plants to create natural herbal solutions to all our problems. With their extraordinary anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidising properties, these herbs give effective medicinal results. One such magical herbal solution is Triphala, often called a one-stop remedy for all our health issues. Here we will see what Triphala consists of and what are its health benefits.
What is Triphala?
Triphala, which in Sanskrit means three fruits, is a combination of Amalaki, Bibhitaki and Haritaki. In Ayurveda, Triphala has been described as a Tridoshic Rasayana, a remedy that balances and rejuvenates the Tridoshas of our body – Vata, Pitta and Kapha. It is popularly known for improving the digestive process but its antioxidant properties also boost the overall immune system.
The Three Superfruits:
Enriched in Vitamin C, Amalaki or Indian gooseberry, has medicinal properties of regulating blood sugar levels, strengthening the body’s immune system and detoxifying the mouth and liver. It aids in calming the Pitta Dosha in our body.
With its astringent properties, Bibhitaki has healing effects on the lungs, urinary tract and digestive tract. It helps in removing Kapha dosha from the body while fighting viral and bacterial infection.
Known for its laxative properties, it strengthens the immune system and regenerates body tissues. It calms the Vata Dosha in our body and is also used to treat heart diseases, asthma, etc.
Benefits of Triphala: The Powerhouse of Ayurveda
- Triphala inhibits digestive (glycolytic) enzymes and helps in decreasing blood glucose levels.
- Triphala regulates blood sugar levels and cholesterol levels in our body and aids in the treatment of patients with Type 2 Diabetes.
- The phytochemicals in Triphala lowers sugar levels in our body and thereby enhancing insulin secretion from the pancreas.
- The laxative properties of Triphala improves bowel movements and loosens stool in the body, thereby preventing and curing constipation.
- It aids in the treatment of IBS or Irritable Bowel Syndrome.
- By prohibiting the growth of harmful bacteria in the gut and producing good bacteria instead, it strengthens the digestive tract.
- Highly enriched in Vitamin C and antioxidant properties, Triphala stimulates the production of White Blood Cells and other antibodies to fight against infection and viruses.
- Triphala is also used in the treatment of allergies.
- The polyphenols present in Triphala eliminate free radicals and help in reducing oxidative stress.
- With its ocular enhancing properties, it maintains eye health.
- It is also used to prevent and cure chronic eye diseases such as cataract and glaucoma.
- An eyewash made of Triphala can be used to enhance vision in the eyes.
Aids in oral hygiene
- A mouthwash made of Triphala eliminates the oral germs and maintains dental health.
- The antioxidant properties present in Triphala can heal mouth sores and its antimicrobial properties prevent plaque formation in our teeth.
- It aids in the treatment of oral health problems such as gingivitis, cavities, plaque, sores and fungal infections.
Improves quality of hair and skin
- The regular consumption of Triphala or application of Triphala paste on hair can greatly improve the quality of hair in both men and women.
- With its antifungal and antibacterial properties, it also aids in the treatment of dermatological problems such as acne and eczema.
- By aiding in digestion, it cures the root cause of all hair and skin-related problems.
Managers arthritis and gout
- The strong anti-inflammatory properties of Triphala can help treat arthritis and gout.
- It lowers uric acid levels in our body, hence reducing chronic-inflammation in our body.
Helps manage stress and anxiety
- Humans experience a high level of stress. Triphala produces adaptogenic activity and therefore is an effective remedy against stress and anxiety.
- With its antioxidant properties, it creates a biological mechanism to deal with stress and anxiety efficiently.
Aids in weight-loss
- Triphala keeps the body weight in check, especially in the abdomen and thighs and aids in losing weight.
- It builds up the metabolism in our bodies and removes toxins while maintaining a healthy weight.
- With its effect on weight, it also aids in preventing chronic diseases such as heart attacks, high blood pressure and diabetes.
Triphala is one of the best remedies to cure any disease you may encounter. By aiding in the digestive process, it inherently prevents all the major diseases that arise due to problems in the gut. It boosts the immune system and hence maintains a preventative mechanism inside our body to deal with any disease and health issues. In recent times, we have seen that Triphala is gaining popularity for enhancing vision and maintaining oral hygiene. But there are many more benefits of Triphala in Ayurveda that remain hidden in the ancient knowledge.
There are many ways to consume Triphala. One of the most popular methods is Triphala Churana, which is readily available. Although the consumption of Triphala will aid in the overall growth of our health, we must remember that Ayurveda emphasises the need to maintain a healthy lifestyle with proper nutrition and dietary consumption.