Are you suffering from high blood pressure levels? If yes, then treat it immediately. Otherwise, your blood vessels may get damaged and cause severe diseases like cardiovascular diseases, kidney failure, etc.
One of the best ways to treat hypertension or high blood pressure levels is Ayurveda. The herbs prescribed in the Ayurvedic text can help regulate blood pressure levels naturally and easily. Let’s have a look at these herbs in this article.
Herbs to Control High Blood Pressure
- Amalaki: Rich in antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties, Amalaki or Indian Gooseberry is one of the best herbs to control hypertension. It widens blood vessels and reduces the pressure of blood on the arteries. You may take Amla juice in the morning or consume Amla in the form of powder mixed with honey.
- Sarpagandha: Sarpagandha contains reserpine, a chemical that is extremely effective in slowing down the heart rate. A lower heart rate would consequently help in reducing blood pressure or hypertension. You may intake Sarphgandha in the form of tablets, easily available at Ayurvedic practitioners.
- Tulsi: Eugenol present in Tulsi helps to widen the blood vessels by removing toxins responsible for tightening them. Widened blood vessels lower the pressure of blood and consequently control hypertension. Tulsi is easily available in Indian households. You may chew on some Tulsi leaves or make a herbal Tulsi tea to reap the benefits of the holy basil.
- Garlic: Garlic is probably the best herbal remedy to reduce blood pressure. It is highly rich in nitric oxide which helps to dilate blood vessels. Garlic, the natural blood thinner, can be easily included in the diet to control hypertension. You may chew raw garlic in the morning and may also include garlic in cooking.
- Honey: Rich in antioxidants, honey can be extremely useful to control hypertension. Honey helps to relax the walls of the blood vessels and reduce blood pressure. You may take it with warm water every morning to reap its numerous benefits.
- Bhringraj: Highly rich in antioxidants, Bhringraj not only regulates blood pressure but also strengthens the heart muscles, further aiding in controlling hypertension. You may take Bhringraj in the form of juice or tablets to lower blood pressure.
Natural Ways to Lower Blood Pressure Levels
- Yoga and Meditation: Yoga and meditation are effective ways to control hypertension and boost the functioning of the heart. Stress is one of the leading causes of hypertension. By managing stress effectively with Yoga and meditation, you might be able to lower your blood pressure.
- Balanced Diet: Taking a balanced diet is the best way to control hypertension. A balanced diet depends on your Dosha, the season and the laws of Viruddha Ahara. Ensuring all these things while taking your meals can go a long way in lowering blood pressure. Generally, eating a lot of fruits and vegetables, whole grains and nuts are effective in controlling high blood pressure. You must avoid eating saturated fats and processed food.
- Maintain Healthy Body Weight: Excess body weight is an important factor in causing high blood pressure. Especially, the visceral fat or the fat around the waist is harmful to your body in conditions of high blood pressure. Eat a balanced diet and exercise regularly to maintain a healthy body weight.
- Avoid Sodium: Excess intake of sodium makes your body retain more water, causing blood pressure to rise. Avoid consuming excess salt to prevent building up the levels of sodium in the body. You must also refrain from eating packaged food as they contain a high amount of sodium.
- Quit Smoking and Reduce Drinking: Nicotine makes your blood pressure and heart rate rise. You must quit smoking to control hypertension. Drinking too much alcohol can also build up hypertension. Therefore, you must reduce drinking and consume alcohol in a moderate quantity to lower blood pressure levels.
High blood pressure or hypertension is one of the gravest diseases with devastating consequences. You must control your hypertension. Fortunately, many herbal and home remedies exist to aid the process. Although many herbs can lower blood pressure, you must consult an Ayurvedic practitioner before intaking any of them. Lifestyle changes are mandatory to control hypertension. Involve Yoga and meditation in your life and regulate your dietary intake to lower down your blood pressure levels.