Everyone experiences fear, which sometimes may also escalate to phobias. There are endless possibilities of situations and events that can stimulate this feeling of fear in people, such as losing family members, performing poorly in exams, losing a job, etc.
Fear is a deeply unpleasant psychological feeling and can often cause uneasiness in the mind. It can disturb the entire physical, mental and emotional system, and therefore, everyone wants to fight their fear and get rid of them. One of the best ways to overcome this feeling is by practising meditation for fear.
How Can Meditation Help To Overcome Fear?
Meditation can help train your mind to observe and embrace negative thoughts and feelings without letting them heighten your emotions. With the help of meditation, you learn to develop a healthier and calmer response to fear and eventually get rid of these uncomfortable and negative thoughts.
Here is how exactly meditation helps you overcome fear:
- Makes You Get Rid of the Past Baggage:
Most of the time, fear is developed because of past traumas or experiences that had a negative impact on our lives. For example, if you are scared of dogs, probably you have had some unpleasant experiences with dogs in the past. Now, your mind does not feel safe with dogs and tends to get scared.
Meditation helps to remove these past impressions and traumas by embracing them fully. It helps to free you from the shackles of past baggage.
- Fights the Anxiety That Comes With Fear:
The feeling of fear is usually accompanied by stress and anxiety. For example, if you are scared of exams and have an exam coming up, you may start getting anxious thoughts that end up making you feel even more scared.
Meditation can help you calm and relax while also providing you with the strength to face this anxiety. It increases the flow of Prana or life force energy in the body and mind, thereby relieving the anxiety about the unknown future. It will also help shift your focus and awareness back to the present and clear your mind.
- Instils Confidence to Combat Fear:
Lack of confidence can also make you feel scared. It makes you concerned about judgements from other people, eventually letting your ego intervene with your mental balance. Meditation helps calm your minds and instil confidence in yourself, thereby providing you with the faith and strength to combat fear.
The Best Meditation For Fear
This meditation technique is a simple and effective practice to overcome free. It will help you embrace your fear and then eventually conquer it.
- Start by feeling and accepting the fear inside your body and mind. Feel it as fully as you can. Tell yourself that you are afraid.
- After a while, stop saying that you are scared and begin to say that “I feel fear”. Validate fear as human emotion. Form a relationship with fear.
- Then, gradually start saying that you are aware of feeling fear. Your body and mind will now enter the awareness stage, where you observe this feeling and remain aware of its impact.
- Now, shift your awareness to the next stage and start embracing your fear. Repeat to yourself that fear is welcome.
- Do not avoid your emotions. Instead, embrace them. It is the main goal of meditation. Understand that fear can also be a way to remain aware and connect with other beings who feel fear. Let self-compassion grow into you.
- At last, gradually open your eyes and continue with your day with a new motivation.
Some Quick Tips
- Even a quick meditation can help you overcome fear. Therefore, whenever you feel scared, immediately practice mindfulness.
- Practice meditation every day. It will help you eventually get rid of your fears and phobias.
- Morning time is ideal for meditation, but you can do it any time convenient to you. However, always make sure you are on a light or empty stomach.
- Choose a quiet and peaceful place to meditate, and sit in a comfortable position while meditating.
Meditation is one of the most effective tools to overcome fear. It helps you to face past traumas, deal with anxiety and become more confident. Regular practice of meditation through the technique mentioned above can help you conquer your fears forever in the long run.