According to Ayurveda, a healthy vagina is crucial for overall health, sex life, ovulation and pregnancy. It is a vital organ and must be given adequate medical attention. Ayurveda recommends many dietary and lifestyle tips to improve vaginal health, such as:
- eating a Dosha-specific diet
- regularly washing intimate parts and maintaining vaginal hygiene
- wearing cotton underpants
- using Ayurvedic herbs for vaginal problems
- avoiding processed and packaged food
- maintaining a healthy sexual life
However, despite following these Ayurvedic regulations, women often suffer from vaginal problems. There are many health conditions associated with the vagina. Two of the most common health problems are vaginal dryness and bacterial vaginosis. Let’s see what Ayurveda says about maintaining vaginal health in these two diseases.
Vaginal Dryness: An Ayurvedic View
A decline in the oestrogen levels in the body can cause thinning and drying of the vaginal skin and result in vaginal dryness. Also known as vaginal atrophy, vaginal dryness can affect women of any age. However, it is more common during menopause. According to Ayurveda, vaginal dryness is caused due to an aggravation of Vata Dosha in the body. When a woman suppresses her natural urges during sex, she may aggravate Vata and cause vaginal dryness.
Ayurvedic Tips To Maintain Vaginal Health In Vaginal Dryness
- Practice Abhyanga or self-massage every day to balance Doshas and nourish the body. If you have Vata imbalance, sesame oil is recommended for massaging.
- Keep your body hydrated. Try to drink at least eight glasses of water every day and eat plenty of juicy fruits.
- Use medicated oils to provide lubrication. It is called Oleation therapy and is highly effective in treating vaginal dryness. Ayurveda recommends massaging with sesame oil and black salt to pacify Vata Dosha.
- Many Ayurvedic therapies such as Nadi Swedana or tube fomentation are also helpful in treating vaginal dryness.
- Medicated enema can also help cure vaginal dryness. Vata balancing herbs used in the enema can pacify the Doshas.
- Consult an Ayurvedic doctor to take the necessary treatment. Many herbs in Ayurveda, such as Triphala, turmeric, Guduchi, Ashwagandha, and Shatavari, help treat vaginal dryness.
- Ayurveda also recommends taking fenugreek water in the morning. It helps restore the levels of oestrogen and increase vaginal lubrication in the body.
Bacterial Vaginosis: Ayurvedic Treatment And Remedies
Bacterial vaginosis, also known as vaginal bacteriosis, is a common vaginal infection found in women. It causes vaginal inflammation due to the overgrowth of bacteria in the vagina. Some of the common symptoms of bacterial vaginosis include vaginal itching, burning sensation while urinating, greyish white discharge, etc.
According to Ayurveda, bacterial vaginosis is caused due to an imbalance in the Kapha Dosha. Therefore, most Ayurvedic treatments for bacterial vaginosis revolve around pacifying Kapha in the body. There are many Ayurvedic herbs and medicines that can help treat the condition. However, Ayurveda also recommends many home remedies to maintain vaginal health and cure bacterial vaginosis.
Home Remedies To Maintain Vaginal Health In Bacterial Vaginosis
- Garlic has potent antibacterial properties that help fight bacterial vaginosis. Therefore, Ayurveda recommends eating a few garlic cloves in the morning.
- Turmeric is also highly beneficial in improving vaginal health and treating bacterial vaginosis. You can take ½ teaspoon of turmeric in 1 glass of warm milk every night.
- Yoghurt or curd is one of the best remedies to cure bacterial vaginosis. Eat yoghurt every day or apply it to the inflamed area.
- Stay hydrated and drink plenty of water and fruit juices to remove toxins from the body.
- Avoid eating foods high in saturated fats and refined sugar.
- Some of the best foods for managing bacterial vaginosis include broccoli, cabbage, spinach, carrot and turnip.
- Maintain good vaginal hygiene. Wear cotton undergarments and wash your intimate parts regularly to prevent infection.
The Final Takeaway
The vagina is a vital organ in women. Maintaining vaginal health and preventing vaginal problems is essential for their overall health. Ayurveda recommends many tips, home remedies and herbs for treating specific vaginal problems and improving vaginal health.