People often desire pink and soft lips because they are considered a sign of good health, attractiveness, and youthfulness. Healthy lips are also more comfortable and less prone to issues like dryness, chapping, or discolouration. While the natural colour of lips varies from person to person, there are several home remedies that people use to enhance the pinkness and softness of their lips. Keep in mind that individual results may vary, and it’s essential to be patient when trying these remedies.
How To Get Pink Lips – Natural Remedies
Here are 10 home remedies for pink lips, along with explanations of how they may help.
- Lemon Juice
Lemon juice is rich in vitamin C, which can help lighten dark lips. You can also use fresh juice extract from other citrus fruits (1).
How to use it: Squeeze fresh lemon juice and apply it to your lips. Leave it on for about 10 minutes, then rinse off with lukewarm water.
- Sugar Scrub
A sugar scrub exfoliates dead skin cells, promoting smoother, pinker lips.
How to use it: Mix sugar with honey or coconut oil to create a gentle lip scrub. Gently rub it on your lips in a circular motion, then rinse off.
- Beetroot Balm
Beetroot has natural pigments that can help add a pink tint to your lips (2). Beetroot-derived herbal lipsticks are becoming increasingly popular as a safe cosmetic alternative.
How to use it: Apply beetroot juice or a beetroot slice to your lips. Leave it on for 15-20 minutes, then wipe it off.
- Pomegranate Seeds
Pomegranate seeds contain antioxidants that can help enhance pink lip colour (3).
How to use it: Crush pomegranate seeds and mix them with rosewater or milk cream to create a paste. Apply it to your lips and leave it on for 15 minutes before rinsing.
- Honey and Rose Petals
Honey moisturizes and helps retain lip moisture, while rose petals can add a natural pink tint (4).
How to use it: Crush rose petals and mix them with honey. Apply the mixture to your lips for 15-20 minutes before washing off.
- Cucumber Slice
Cucumber has a long history of use as a skin-lightening agent and to relieve inflammation. Research confirms its soothing effects and shows that it can help reduce lip pigmentation (5).
How to use it: Place cucumber slices on your lips for 10-15 minutes daily to lighten and refresh them.
- Almond Oil
Almond oil is rich in vitamins and can help nourish and soften lips (6).
How to use it: Apply a few drops of almond oil to your lips before bedtime and leave it on overnight.
- Milk and Turmeric Paste
Turmeric has natural anti-inflammatory and skin-lightening properties (7).
How to use it: Mix turmeric powder with milk to create a paste. Apply it to your lips for 5-10 minutes, then rinse off.
- Aloe Vera Gel
Aloe vera gel has soothing and moisturizing properties that can help heal dry and chapped lips.
How to use it: Apply fresh aloe vera gel to your lips and leave it on until it dries before rinsing.
- Coconut Oil and Castor Oil
Both oils can help moisturize and nourish the lips, making them softer and healthier (6).
How to use it: Mix equal parts coconut oil and castor oil and apply this mixture to your lips before bedtime. Leave it on overnight.
- Strawberry Paste
Strawberries contain natural exfoliants and antioxidants that can improve lip texture and colour, protecting against sun damage (8).
How to use it: Mash strawberries and mix with a little honey. Apply the paste to your lips for 15-20 minutes before washing off.
- Olive Oil
Olive oil is rich in vitamins and can help moisturize and nourish lips, giving a healthy luscious appearance (9).
How to use it: Apply a few drops of extra virgin olive oil to your lips several times a day to keep them soft and supple.
- Milk and Saffron:
Saffron can help lighten lip pigmentation, while milk hydrates and softens (10).
How to use it: Soak a few saffron strands in a tablespoon of milk for a few hours. Apply the saffron-infused milk to your lips and leave it on for 15-20 minutes before rinsing.
- Cocoa Butter
Cocoa butter is an excellent natural lip moisturizer that can help repair and soften dry lips.
How to use it: Apply a small amount of cocoa butter to your lips as needed throughout the day.
- Yoghurt and Honey Mask
Yoghurt contains lactic acid, which can exfoliate dead skin cells, and honey adds moisture (6).
How to use it: Mix yoghurt and honey in equal proportions and apply the mask to your lips for 15-20 minutes before rinsing.
How To Get Pink Lips At Home: Simple Tips
Here are some tips to help you avoid darkening and drying of your lips and maintain their natural colour and softness:
- Drink plenty of water throughout the day to keep your body and lips well-hydrated.
- Apply a good quality lip balm or lip moisturizer with SPF to protect your lips from harsh sun rays and environmental factors.
- Avoid the habit of licking your lips, as it can make them drier and more prone to chapping.
- Regularly exfoliate your lips to remove dead skin cells. You can use a soft toothbrush or a lip scrub for this purpose, but be gentle to avoid irritation.
- In cold and windy weather, cover your lips with a scarf or use a lip balm that provides extra protection against moisture loss.
- Consume a balanced diet rich in vitamins and minerals, particularly vitamin B and iron, which are essential for healthy lips.
- Spicy and salty foods can sometimes irritate your lips and cause temporary darkening. Try to limit their consumption if you notice this effect.
- Smoking is a major risk factor for lip discoloration and drying so kick the habit.
- Both caffeine and alcohol can dehydrate your body, including your lips so limit their intake.
- Apply hydrating lip masks or natural remedies like honey or aloe vera gel to your lips overnight to keep them moisturised and soft.
- If you live in a dry climate or use heating or air conditioning that dries the air, consider using a humidifier to add moisture to your environment.
- Some toothpaste ingredients, like sodium lauryl sulphate, can irritate the lips. Consider switching to a natural Ayurvedic sulphate-free toothpaste instead.
- Avoid cosmetic lip products, especially those with harsh chemicals that can cause dryness and darkening.
Remember to perform a patch test before using any new ingredient on your lips to ensure you do not have an adverse reaction. Consistency and patience are key when using these remedies, as it may take some time to see noticeable results. Additionally, maintaining good lip care practices, such as staying hydrated and using lip balms with SPF, can also contribute to healthier lips.
How to get pink lips permanently?
All of the natural remedies for pink lips that are listed above can help to give you pink lips naturally, but none will offer a permanent solution unless you also follow the recommended lifestyle changes as well.
How to get pink lips in 1 day?
There is no shortcut to getting naturally pink lips as all natural methods require consistent healthy choices for results that appear over time.
Can lipsticks cause darkening of lips?
Yes, lipsticks often contain chemicals that cause darkening of the lips when used regularly over a period of time.
Disclaimer: This article is written from a health and lifestyle perspective. It is for general information and not meant to substitute any medical advice. Please consult your doctor for appropriate medical consultation.
- Citrus Flavonoids with Skin Lightening Effects – Safety and Efficacy Studies
- A Review on Herbal Lipstick From Beetroot Extract
- Formulation and evaluation of herbal lipstick from pomegranate pigment
- Formulation and Evaluation of Natural Lip Balm by using Rose Petals
- Health Beneficial Effects of Cucumber
- Formulation and characterization of lip balm made from beeswax, almond oil, virgin coconut oil and honey
- Turmeric: A condiment, cosmetic and cure
- A Pilot Study of the Photoprotective Effects of Strawberry-Based Cosmetic Formulations on Human Dermal Fibroblasts
- The Effect of Olive Oil Concentration in Lip Balm on The Physical Properties and The Product Acceptance Rate
- Traditional and Modern Uses of Saffron (Crocus Sativus)