Warts, also known as verrucae, are benign,  small lesions and growths on the skin that are not typically life-threatening and are caused by the human papillomavirus (HPV).  In Ayurveda, they are compared with Charmakeela, and it is believed that the ailment happens due to vitiation of Vata and Kapha over the skin leading to the formation of hard nail structures called Charmakeela. They are primarily seen in children and young adults.  They can appear on various body parts, may vary in appearance, and are believed to be caused by at least 80 subtypes of HPV. While warts are generally harmless, they can be unsightly, cause discomfort, and may even spread.  Fortunately, numerous effective treatments and home remedies are available for wart removal safely and effectively. In this article, we will explore 15 methods to help eliminate warts.
15 Treatments & Home Remedies For Warts
1. Salicylic Acid
Salicylic acid medication is commonly used to treat warts, and this is also considered the strongest wart remover. The topical medicine is applied once or twice a day, where it remains till it gets removed in the course of regular activities. It works gradually and may have to be used daily for about 12 weeks before the warts get completely cleared. 
2. Aromatic Vinegar
Aromatic vinegar is a popular natural remedy for wart removal. Its acidic properties help break down the wart tissue and promote healing. 
3. Vitamin E
Vitamin E is commonly used as a natural remedy for wart removal due to its natural properties. 
4. Aloe Vera
5. Tea Tree Oil
This is another traditional method where the wart is healed and destroyed using tea tree oil. It is extremely safe and heals the skin without causing damage to the skin surrounding the wart area. 
6. Greater Celandine Herb
The milky juice that is easily extracted from the greater celandine herb has been used in folk medicine for the treatment of viral warts for years. The herb is extremely rich in medically valuable natural compounds. 
It has been seen that garlic has antiviral activity and inhibits cellular proliferation of virally infected cells. By applying extracts of garlic, one can get a complete resolution of cutaneous warts with no recurrence after 3–4 months. 
This is from the blister beetle and needs to be applied to the wart and covered with a nonporous occlusive tape for 24 hours. This leads to the formation of a blister which will then heal in 1 to 2 weeks. The process needs to be repeated a couple of times, and it is said to cause no scarring and also cause no pain during application. 
9. Hot water
If you are looking for easy ways on how to remove warts on the hands and feet, this can be an effective way. Simply immersing the affected area in hot water (45°C to 48°C) has shown improvements in certain cases of cutaneous warts. 
Potatoes are sometimes used as a home remedy for wart removal. Certain studies show that some properties present in raw potato may help deal with the wart tissue. 
11. Fish Liver Oil
By applying a natural vitamin A derived from fish liver oil you can enjoy an easy remedy to replace warts with normal skin. 
12. Horse Hair
Kshara Sutra of horse hair should be applied around the base of the wart and then tied to it. This is also considered one of the best remedies in Ayurveda if you are looking for ways how to remove warts. 
13. Changeri Leaves
Scientifically known as Oxalis corniculata, Changeri Leaves make for an effective wart removal medicine where its paste is rubbed over the wart for results. 
Agnikarma is a local infiltration at the base of the wart, after which the area is dusted with turmeric powder for a day, then dressed with Jatyadi taila, and then bandaged. This is a popular answer to how to remove warts on face as well as other kinds of warts, such as plantar warts and genital warts. 
15. Vitamin C
It has been seen that treatment with Vitamin C after laser vaporization of genital warts could be extremely beneficial for wart removal as well as decreasing the recurrences of HPV-related conditions. It also increases immunity and makes for a great natural defense against HPV infection. 
FAQs about Warts
1. What are some of the best wart removal home remedies?
Some of the best home remedies for wart removal include:
1. Tea Tree Oil: Dab the wart using a cotton swab soaked in Tea Tree oil. Then, cover the wart with a tight bandage and repeat the process twice daily.
2. Aloe Vera: Extract the Aloe gel from the leaf of Aloe Vera and apply the natural gel directly to the wart. Apply the gel several times a day.
3. Oregano Oil: Dilute oregano oil with a carrier oil and apply it to the wart using a cotton swab twice daily.
4. Zinc Supplements: Taking zinc supplements may help boost the immune system and aid in fighting the HPV virus.
5. Lemon Juice: Apply raw lemon juice to the wart with the help of a cotton ball soaked in the freshly extracted lemon juice. Leave it on for 20 minutes and rinse with water. Repeat this treatment twice daily.
6. Onion: Cut a small piece of onion and rub it over the wart for a few minutes. Repeat this remedy several times a day.
7. Epsom Salt Soak: Dissolve Epsom salt in lukewarm water and soak the affected area for 15-20 minutes daily. After soaking, gently scrub the wart with a tough pumice stone or an emery board to remove dead skin.
2. Can witch hazel help with wart removal effectively?
A cotton ball dipped in witch hazel may be applied to the wart. Witch hazel has astringent properties that may help shrink the wart and alleviate discomfort. Repeat this treatment several times a day until the wart disappears.
3. How to remove warts on face naturally?
Apple Cider Vinegar is a great remedy if you are looking for remedies on how to remove warts on face. Simply a cotton ball dipped in apple cider vinegar may be applied directly to the wart. Secure it with a bandage and leave it overnight. Another option for wart removal on the face is using banana peel. Just cut a small piece of banana peel and place it over the wart, with the inner side against the skin. Secure it with a bandage and leave it overnight.
Wart removal can be achieved through a variety of effective treatments and home remedies. Whether you opt for over-the-counter medications and wart removal ointment, cryotherapy, or natural remedies like apple cider vinegar, tea tree oil, or garlic, it is important to be consistent and patient. With persistence and the right approach, you can successfully remove warts and restore the health and appearance of your skin.
Disclaimer: This article is written from a health and wellness perspective only and is not a piece of medical advice. Kindly seek the help of a certified medical practitioner before initiating any treatment.
- Treatment of warts
- An Armamentarium of Wart Treatments
- A review on management of warts in Ayurveda
- A review on management of warts in Ayurveda
- Complementary treatment with oral Pidotimod plus vitamin C after laser vaporization for female genital warts: a prospective study
- Treatment of Warts by Aromatic Vinegar
- Aloe vera : A Potential Herb and its Medicinal Importance
- Tea Tree Oil (Melaleuca alternifolia)-An Efficient Treatment for Warts: Two Case Reports
- Milky Sap of Greater Celandine (Chelidonium majus L.) and Anti-Viral Properties
- Topical vitamin A treatment of recalcitrant common warts
- Randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled pilot study to assess the value of free radical scavengers in reducing inflammation induced by cryotherapy
- Transcriptome analysis of resistance mechanism to potato wart disease