According to Ayurveda, sexual activity or Brahmacharya is one of the three supporting pillars or Upastambha of a healthy life. Ayurveda advocates that a healthy and desirable sexual activity can promote youthfulness, enhanced memory, strength, and hormonal balance in the body. However, according to Ayurveda, sexual activity should always be balanced and controlled. Ayurveda mentions many rules, recommendations, and tips that help balance sexual activity and promote sexual health in people.
Ayurvedic Recommendations and Tips for Better Sexual Health
- Indulge in Sexual Activity Based on Doshas
Sexual activity tends to aggravate Vata, which can further lead to a depletion in your Ojas. Therefore, it is recommended that if you are primarily Vata’s body type, you should not have intercourse frequently. However, if you are Kapha body time, you may indulge in sexual activities frequently without depleting your Ojas. As far as Pitta body type people are concerned, they may have intercourse at a moderate frequency.
- Indulge in Sexual Activity According to Seasons:
Ayurveda mentions that the frequency of sexual activity should largely depend on seasons since each season promotes a specific Dosha. Ayurvedic texts state that people should indulge in sexual activity as much as they want during winter after taking herbs and aphrodisiacs that boost strength. It is an ideal time as Kapha Dosha is predominant. One can indulge in sexual activity once in three days during the spring and autumn season. However, people should indulge in sexual activity only once in 15 days during the summer and rainy seasons as Vata is already predominant.
- Overcome Loss of Ojas:
Ojas is the vital energy force of the body and sexual activity tends to deplete your Ojas. Therefore, it is important to recover from the loss of Ojas after having intercourse. Some of the ways to bring back your energy are:
- Take a bath after having intercourse
- Eat natural sweets made of jaggery, milk, etc.
- Relax in a cool breeze
- Take a sound sleep
- Give Oil Massage Before Sexual Activity:
Abhyanga or massage can vastly help you build Ojas in your body. Giving each other a body or foot massage also helps to connect better with your partner. Therefore, it is advised to give oil massages before indulging in sexual activity.
- Connect With Your Partner:
Ayurveda puts a lot of stress on building connections and trusting your partner. It is important to have a healthier sexual life. By expressing feelings and making love in desirable ways with awareness, you may better utilize your Ojas.
- Eat Foods that Boost Sexual Health:
Certain foods are highly beneficial in improving sexual potency, such as whole grains, pulses, wheat, vegetables, garlic, fruits, Draksha, rock salt, dairy products, oils, etc.
Ayurvedic Herbs That Promote Sexual Health
Certain Ayurvedic herbs help to improve libido and boost sexual health in people. However, these herbs should only be consumed after consulting with an Ayurvedic practitioner as every body type is different.
- Ashwagandha: Ashwagandha is one of the best aphrodisiacs mentioned in Ayurveda. It not only helps to boost libido and performance but also to improve energy levels and promote longevity. Ashwagandha is a highly effective herb for treating erectile dysfunction in men and improving sexual satisfaction in women.
- Shilajit: Shilajit is a well-known Ayurvedic herb for improving libido in both men and women. In addition, Shilajit also helps increase testosterone levels in males and boosts the reproductive health of both males and females.
- Shatavari: Shatavari is considered the best herb to boost libido. It is a female tonic that helps to boost fertility and regulate hormones in women. It also enhances blood circulation in the body and provides energy and endurance for sexual activity. Shatavari is widely used to treat various sexual disorders such as inflammation in sexual organs, impotency, premature ejaculation, etc.
Sexual activity is of vast importance in Ayurveda. It can provide many health benefits to people. However, Ayurveda advocates that one should always indulge in sexual activity in a controlled and balanced manner. One of the main rules is to have sexual activity based on seasons and Doshas. Ayurveda also mentions many foods and herbs that can help to improve the sexual health of people. Following an Ayurvedic concept of sexual life can vastly help to boost sexual health and lead a healthier life.