Hair is a mirror to the healthy state of your body and mind. It helps to improve your personality and promote your overall well being. Therefore, it is quintessential to maintain your hair health.
Hair has three main parts: hair bulb, hair root and hair shaft. Hair roots or follicles are the hair lying beneath the surface of the skin. Keeping them strong ensures that your hair shaft is strong as well. Therefore, Ayurveda often talks about strengthening your hair roots.
Click to learn how exercise can improve your PCOS management
According to Ayurveda, an imbalance in the Dosha can weaken your hair roots. It can cause a lack of nutrients in the body, increase inflammation or obstruct the supply of blood to the hair follicles. Fortunately, there are many Ayurvedic remedies, tips and regulations to get stronger hair roots.
How to Strengthen Hair Roots Naturally?
Ayurveda stresses the importance of Aahar or diet in strengthening the hair roots. Eating a healthy and balanced diet with appropriate proportions of carbohydrates, proteins, fats, vitamins, and minerals help to provide essential nutrients to the hair and prevent hair loss. Some more dietary regulations, according to Ayurveda, are:
- Hair is primarily made of protein. Therefore, eating a protein-rich diet is essential for strengthening hair roots. Include fish, yeast, soybean, eggs, beans and yoghurt for the protein intake.
- You also need to increase the consumption of iron as it is crucial for haemoglobin and blood formation. Start eating green vegetables, raisins, dates, etc.
- Zinc is also an important nutrient for strengthening hair follicles. Seafood is one of the best sources of zinc.
- Avoid eating cold, spicy and sugary foods. Also, restrict the consumption of caffeine, fat, carbonated drinks, animal protein, excessive raw foods, etc., as they weaken your hair roots.
- Limit the intake of unhealthy fats, such as palm oil, fried foods, sugary foods, etc.
- Ayurveda also mentions many superfoods for strengthening hair roots, such as Amla, coconut oil, almonds, walnuts, buttermilk, green gram (Moong), raisins, spinach, liquorice (Mulethi) and fenugreek seeds (Methi). They are rich in nutrients, help to detoxify the body, nourish hair follicles, reduce inflammation and stimulate hair growth.
Does Ayurveda Recommend any Remedies to Strengthen Hair Roots?
According to Ayurveda, you must include certain habits and practices in your lifestyle to strengthen hair roots and prevent hair fall. Some of these ancient practices are:
- Regular Oiling Of Hair: Oil should be applied to the scalp at least 3-4 times a week. It helps provide nourishment to the hair follicles and gives strength to the cortex and fibre of hair, thereby preventing hair fall, baldness and other hair problems. Ayurveda recommends using mustard oil or coconut oil for strengthening hair roots. You can also make a decoction from Bhringaraj oil mixed with Till oil for best results. However, you may also use other Ayurvedic oils based on your Doshas.
- Nasya: Nasya is an Ayurvedic practice of instilling Anu Tailam or Desi Ghee into the nostrils. It helps prevent many physical and mental ailments and is vastly known to nourish the hair follicles, strengthen hair roots and stimulate hair growth.
- Regular Washing Of Hair: According to Ayurveda, hair should be washed at least three times a week with mild or herbal shampoos. You can also choose shampoos made of hair-strengthening herbs such as Henna, Bhringraj, Jatamanasi, Triphala, Ghrit Kumari, Shikakai, Brahmi, etc. Ayurveda also recommends washing hair with lukewarm water. Washing your hair with warm or cold water reduces the strength of the hair roots.
- Hair-Strengthening Herbs: There are many herbs mentioned in Ayurveda that can nourish your hair follicles and strengthen hair roots, such as Amla, aloe vera, curry leaves, hibiscus, fenugreek leaves, coconut oil and sesame seeds oil. You can either include these herbs in your diet or apply them to your head as a hair mask.
Taking nutritional supplements to manage your PCOS symptoms? Here are certain things to consider before you continue
Some More Ayurvedic Lifestyle Tips For Strong Hair:
- Avoid using heat treatments such as hair dryers and curling irons.
- Increase the consumption of calcium in your diet to make your hair stronger.
- Take an adequate amount of sound sleep.
- Manage stress and anxiety with the help of meditation.
- Practice Yoga and Pranayama to relieve stress and boost blood circulation.
- Avoid excessive consumption of alcohol.
- Quit smoking.
- Comb your hair gently and regularly.
Manage PCOS with a healthy diet. Click to know more
The Final Takeaway
According to Ayurveda, keeping your hair strong is extremely important for your overall health. Therefore, it provides many remedies along with dietary and lifestyle regulations to strengthen hair roots and boost hair health. Start following these practices now to make your hair stronger and healthier.