There are many Ayurvedic remedies that have been popularly used in Indian households for generations. One such remedy is Trikatu Churna.
If you have also heard of it but don’t know why it is so beneficial, you are at the right place. Here are the many benefits and uses of Trikatu that make it one of the most incredible home remedies.
What Is Trikatu Churna?
In Sanskrit, Tri means three, Katu means herbs, and Churna means powder. Trikatu, commonly known as Trikatu Churna, is nothing but a simple mixture of three Indian herbs, viz Kali Mirch (Piper nigrum), Pipali (Piper longum), and Sonth or dry ginger (Zingiber officinale) in 1:1:1 ratio. It is also popularly known as Trikatu Choornam, Kasut Raya Churna or Kataut Raya Churna.
Ayurveda recommends this Churna in managing conditions like high cholesterol, obesity, infection, gastric problems, respiratory disorders and many more. This Churna is readily available in the market and can also be prepared at home. With a hot potency and pungent taste, Trikatu is highly beneficial for the spleen, liver, and pancreas.
Medicinal Properties of Trikatu
Trikatu offers several medicinal properties, such as:
- Digestive stimulant
The Many Benefits of Trikatu Churna
- Treats Digestive Disorders: Trikatu increases the fire element in the body, thereby increasing appetite and improving digestion. You can take ½ to 1 teaspoon of Trikatu Churna one hour before taking meals to prevent digestive problems.
- Enhances Immunity: Trikatu Churna is rich in antioxidants that fight radical damage and help boost immunity in the body.
- Aids in Weight Loss: Trikatu increases the metabolism in the body and helps to shed excess weight. You can take 1 teaspoon of Trikatu half an hour before eating to reduce weight.
- Treats Asthma and Respiratory Disorders: Trikatu Churna has hot potency, owing to which it reduces mucus production in the lungs and helps in treating asthma and respiratory diseases like bronchitis. You can take ½ to 1 teaspoon of Trikatu Churna with honey half an hour before lunch to subside asthma symptoms.
- Regulates Cholesterol Levels: Trikatu Churna has been found to reduce triglycerides and LDL cholesterol in the body while also increasing HDL or good cholesterol. Ayurveda recommends taking ½ to 1 teaspoon of Trikatu Churna one hour before taking meals to reduce cholesterol levels in the blood.
- Treats Irritable Bowel Syndrome: Trikatu Churna is well known to regulate digestive fire and treat gas combined with mucus in stool, cramps, and diarrhoea. It is, therefore, one of the best Ayurvedic remedies to treat irritable bowel syndrome.
- Alleviates Body Pain: Trikatu Churna makes the body warm from the inside and also lowers inflammation in the body. It, therefore, helps significantly in reducing body pain, especially in the cold climate.
- Improves Reproductive Functions: Blessed with aphrodisiac properties, Trikatu Churna aids in strengthening reproductive function and energising and warming the reproductive organs. It also helps in maintaining a healthy sexual life by increasing sperm count.
- Treats Thyroid Gland Disorder: According to Ayurveda, Trikatu Churna along with Godanti Bhasma is highly effective in treating thyroid problems.
- Cures Skin Diseases: Taking Trikatu Churna with jaggery, Haritaki, and sesame oil for one month can prevent and treat several skin disorders. The anti-inflammatory properties of Trikatu further aid in boosting skin health.
How To Use Trikatu?
The dosage and use of Trikatu are best prescribed by an Ayurvedic doctor. However, the safe dose of Trikatu is usually 125 mg to 500 mg a day. The maximum intake of Trikatu can be 1000 mg per day.
Side Effects of Trikatu
Trikatu is usually safe when consumed in the recommended dosage. However, increased intake may result in side effects like:
- Increased heat sensation
- Burning taste
- Burning sensation in the throat
- Mouth ulcers
- Redness or burning sensation in eyes
People with the following conditions should also avoid taking Trikatu:
- High-risk pregnancy
- Bleeding disorder
- Constipation with hard and dry stool
- Skin diseases with symptoms of burning sensation
- Red eyes
- Burning sensation in throat, abdomen, feet, and hand
- Acid dyspepsia
Trikatu is one of the best Ayurvedic Churnas. If taken in the right dosage, it can help treat several diseases like digestive problems, respiratory conditions and skin diseases. However, remember to always consult an Ayurvedic doctor before taking Trikatu.