Cow urine, also known as Gomutra, has been used for ages in India and is believed to have healing powers. Ayurveda mentions cow urine in numerous therapeutic uses and the formulation of many medicines. According to Sushruta Samhita and Astanga Sangraha, Gomutra or cow urine is one of the most effective medicines to treat diseases such as haemorrhoids, diabetes, skin diseases, heart diseases, stomach diseases, liver ailments, etc. It is also a key component in Panchgavya Chikitsa.
Gomutra in Panchgavya Chikitsa:
Panchgavya Chikitsa is an Ayurvedic treatment that can help to cure various diseases, such as skin disorders, cancer, inflammation, epilepsy, leprosy, etc. In this treatment, a formulation is prepared from cow urine, cow milk, curd, ghee and dung, known as Panachgavya. It is not only beneficial to improve human health but also to improve plant and animal health.
Ayurvedic Properties of Gomutra or Cow Urine:
As mentioned in Sushruta Samhita, cow urine has the following characteristics:
- It has Katu Rasa or pungent taste
- It is easily digestible (Laghu)
- It has Tikshna or penetrating properties
- It has a hot potency (Ushna Virya)
- It is Agnidipaka and helps to improve digestion
- It has Medhya properties which help to improve intellect
- It helps to pacify Vata and Kapha Dosha
- It increases Pitta Dosha in the body
Nutrient Composition of Cow Urine:
The main components of cow urine are 95% water, 2.5% urea, minerals, 24 types of salts, hormones, and 2.5% enzymes. Iron, calcium, phosphorus, nitrogen, ammonia, manganese, iron, phosphates, potassium, urea, uric acid, amino acids, enzymes, cytokine and lactose are also found in Gomutra.
Therapeutic Uses of Cow Urine or Gomutra:
- Cow urine can flush out harmful toxins from the body and prevent the accumulation of Ama.
- It is also very effective in treating stomach and gastrointestinal problems.
- Gomutra is highly beneficial in the treatment of many skin disorders such as itching, sunburns, eczema, acne, etc.
- It is also known to cure many heart and kidney ailments.
- Rich in uric acid, it is one of the best Ayurvedic remedies for dissolving stones.
- Cow urine has an antidiabetic effect. It can significantly help to lower your blood glucose levels.
- Daily consumption of Gomutra can also help to treat liver cirrhosis and boost your liver health.
- Ayurveda also mentions the use of Gomutra in the treatment of jaundice.
- Athlete’s foot is another disease that can be effectively cured with the help of cow urine.
- Cow urine has immunostimulant activity and is also highly rich in antioxidants. Therefore, it helps to boost the functioning of the immune system.
- It is a bio enhancer. Bioenhancers are chemicals that do not have pharmacological activity of their own but help to improve the bioactivity, bioavailability, and absorption of medicines in combination therapy.
- It has been found that Gomutra also has anti-cancer activities and can aid in the treatment of cancer.
- It also has potent antiseptic properties, making it one of the best medicines to heal wounds.
- Gomutra is highly beneficial in the treatment of haemorrhoids.
- It can also be used as a disinfectant.
- Rich in antifungal and antimicrobial activities, it also aids in preventing and treating allergies and infections.
Gomutra is one of the most effective medicines mentioned in Ayurveda. Rich in various nutrients and properties, cow urine can aid in the treatment of numerous diseases and disorders. It is also an important part of Panchagavya therapy. Daily consumption of cow urine can vastly improve the overall health of the body.
This article is reviewed by Dr. Pawan Kumar Sharma