Have you been experiencing joint pain? If yes, then you have come to the right place.
In this article, find out about the best Ayurvedic herb to relieve joint pain: Nirgundu or Vitex negundo. This herb is known to treat all types of joint pain as well as promote overall joint health.
Everything You Need To Know About Nirgundi
Also known as the five-leaved chaste tree, Nirgundi, in Sanskrit can be roughly translated as “the herb that protects the body from all diseases”. Nirgundi is an Ayurvedic herb that is known for having numerous therapeutic properties. It helps to pacify Vata and Kapha Dosha and can significantly aid in the treatment of asthma, joint pain, menstrual cramps, epilepsy, etc.
Nirgundi is widely cultivated in tropical countries such as China, India, Indonesia, Tanzania and Madagascar. It is rich in many medicinal properties such as flavonoids, alkaloids, Vitamin C, etc., which makes it a perfect remedy for various diseases.
How Does Nirgundi Help in Joint Pain?
- Lowers Inflammation
Most joint pains are caused due to chronic inflammation in the joints. The anti-inflammatory properties of Nirgundi help in reducing inflammation and relieving joint pain.
- Removes Free Radicals
Antioxidants help to eliminate free radicals and reduce cartilage damage in the body, thereby reducing pain and inflammation in the joints. Nirgundi is highly rich in antioxidants and therefore serves as a great remedy for joint pain.
- Relieves Chronic Pain
The alkaloid nishindine found in Nirgundi has analgesic properties that help to relieve pain in the joints.
What Are the Other Therapeutic Uses of Nirgundi?
- Respiratory Disorders: Nirgundi is a potent Ayurvedic herb for the treatment of various respiratory disorders such as asthma, bronchitis, allergies etc.
- Menstrual Cramps: Terpenoids present in Nirgundi help to balance hormones in females. It also helps to relieve menstrual cramps and ease uterine fibroids.
- Anxiety: Rich in flavonoids and fatty acids, Nirgundi is a great Ayurvedic remedy to treat stress and stress-related disorders such as anxiety, insomnia and depression. Nirgundi is also effective in regulating sleep, further helping in dealing with anxiety
- Epilepsy: In epilepsy, the patient experiences seizures of body parts. Nirgundi has Medhya or memory-promoting properties that help in mitigating the disease. It is also laden with Vata-balancing properties and Shulahara or antispasmodic properties, further aiding in managing epilepsy.
- High Fever: Nirgundi reduces body temperatures and fights infections in the body. It also boosts immunity. Therefore, it is an excellent Ayurvedic herb to cure high fever.
- Greying of Hair: Rich in antioxidants and oil extracts, Nirgundi helps to nourish the hair follicles and prevent premature greying of the hair.
How to Use Nirgundi?
Nirgundi can be used in various forms:
- It can be used as an oil or a herbal paste.
- You can also use its leaves to prepare a herbal decoction.
- Nirgundi powder and capsules are also readily available and can be used in the recommended dosage.
Nirgundi is one of the best herbs found in Ayurveda to relieve and heal joint pain. It helps to balance Vata and remove Ama from the body. The anti-inflammatory, antioxidant and analgesic properties of Nirgundi make it a perfect remedy to treat all types of joint pain. However, you must consult with an Ayurvedic practitioner to understand the cause of your joint pain and take effective treatment for the same.