Cosmetics are highly toxic for your skin. They are full of chemicals and clog the pores of your skin. Your skin absorbs these chemicals and toxins start accumulating. According to Ayurveda, toxin accumulation is one of the main reasons behind all skin problems. Therefore, you must try to switch your cosmetics with a healthy and herbal skincare routine. Ayurveda mentions some highly effective and efficient herbs to prevent skin infections, cure acne, make your skin look brighter, prevent ageing and remove tan.
What Are the Best Herbs for Your Skin?
Amla (Indian Gooseberry)
Amla is rich in vitamin C and antioxidants, making it one of the best herbs for your skin. It helps to tighten the skin and slow down the ageing process, bringing an everlasting glow to the skin. It is also an extremely efficient natural exfoliating agent.
How to Use Amla for Your Skin?
- You may make a face pack with Amla. Take Amla powder and add hibiscus flowers and rose water to it. Make a paste and apply it to your face.
- You may also dab Amla juice on your skin using a cotton ball and then wash it with water.
- Another way of reaping the benefits of Amla is by drinking Amla juice every morning.
Haldi or turmeric is rich in anti-inflammatory, anti-ageing and antiseptic properties. This helps to prevent bacterial and fungal infections in the skin.
The curcumin present in Haldi eliminates the free radicals and helps to heal the damaged skin. It is also highly effective in removing tan and making the skin look brighter.
How to Use Haldi for Your Skin?
- You may make turmeric and gram flour paste. For this, add one teaspoon of turmeric powder with four teaspoons of gram flour. Mix it well using milk or water and form a paste. Apply it on your face and then wash it with water after some time.
- You may also make a turmeric paste with Chandan (sandalwood), Kesar (saffron) or Multani Mitti (Fuller’s earth). Use water, rose water or curd to mix them together and then apply on your face.
Neem is rich in antioxidants and antibacterial properties. Therefore, it is one of the best herbs to prevent infections in your skin. Neem is also considered to be one of the best natural exfoliators as it removes the dead skin cells and removes excess oil from the skin. It also helps to open the clogged pores and stimulate the production of natural oils in the skin. Therefore, it is one of the best herbs to use if you have acne or pimples.
How To Use Neem for Your Skin?
- The best way to apply Neem on your skin is through a Neem face pack. Make a paste of neem leaves using rose water and apply it to your face. You may also add other ingredients to the face pack such as honey, aloe vera, gram flour or Multani Mitti.
- You may also wash your face using Neem water. For this, boil Neem leaves in the water for about 10 minutes and then wash your face with it. Washing your face with Neem water is highly effective in the treatment of skin infections.
The anti-inflammatory properties of sandalwood help in eliminating acne and pimples. Sandalwood is also one of the best exfoliating herbs. It helps to remove tan and make the skin look brighter. It also helps in curing sunburns and rashes.
Sandalwood also helps to detoxify and hydrate the skin. It removes excess oil from the skin while giving the skin a soothing effect.
How To Use Sandalwood for Your Skin?
- You may make a face pack of sandalwood and apply it to your skin. For this, take some sandalwood powder and mix it with rose water or milk.
- You may also make sandalwood face packs using other herbs such as saffron, turmeric, honey, gram flour, Multani Mitti, etc. Take some sandalwood powder and mix it with any of these ingredients using rose water, milk, curd or water.
Ghritkumari (Aloe Vera)
Aloe vera is rich in anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties. This makes it one of the best herbs to cure skin infections and acne. It is one of the best natural exfoliating agents that can effectively remove tanning and cure sunburns. Aloe vera is highly effective against wrinkles and prevents ageing of the skin. It also deeply nourishes and moisturises your skin, giving it a natural glow.
How To Use Aloe Vera for Your Skin?
- The best way to use aloe vera is by extracting a fresh layer of the herb and applying the gel directly to the skin. There is no time limit to keep it on your skin. You may even keep it overnight and then wash it in the morning.
- You may also make a face pack using aloe vera. For this, take some aloe vera gel and add a pinch of turmeric and a tablespoon of honey to it. Mix it using milk or rose water. You may also use Multani Mitti or mashed banana in this face pack.