According to Ayurveda, skin type depends on the dominant Dosha of the person. There are three Doshas, as recognised by Ayurveda: Vata, Kapha and Pitta. Oily skin is a result of Pitta and Kapha imbalance in the body. Ayurveda believes that skin remains healthy and fresh if all the three Doshas are in balance. This keeps the body, mind and spirit in harmony and prevents any skin disorders and diseases.
The Ayurvedic skincare regime for any skin type tries to pacify the aggravated energy of the Dosha in the body. Ayurvedic remedies for each skin type also includes lifestyle tips such as dietary and nutrition requirements, exercise and Yoga recommendation, as healthy skin largely depends on the psychological state of mind. Ayurveda provides ancient remedies using natural herbs and resources. Oily skin is generally susceptible to acne and pimples. Hence, Ayurvedic remedies also try to prevent such skin disorders.
Some Ayurvedic Remedies for Oily Skin
- The cooling and anti-inflammatory properties of sandalwood prevent acne and pimples on the skin.
- It not only absorbs the excess oil from the skin but also detoxifies and hydrates the skin.
- It also helps to cure tanning and sunburns.
- You can use sandalwood in the form of a face pack. Add some rose water to sandalwood powder and apply it to the face. You may also add turmeric to the face pack for more benefits.
- Neem is considered one of the best exfoliating agents. It removes the dead skin cells and opens clogged pores in the skin, stimulating the formation of natural oil and removing excess oil from the skin. This also helps in preventing acne and pimples.
- With its antibacterial and antioxidant properties, Neem also prevents any skin infections.
- You may use a face pack made of Neem powder on your skin. You can also add turmeric to the face pack. Another alternative to bring Neem to your skincare routine is to wash your face from Neem water. Boil some Neem leaves in the water and cool down the water before washing your face with it.
Multani Mitti (Fuller’s Earth)
- Multani Mitti is the best natural exfoliating agent for oily skin. It deeply exfoliates and cleanses the skin, preventing the outbreak of acne and pimples.
- It removes excess oil from the skin, nourishes it and tightens the skin elasticity.
- Facepack is the most effective way to use Multani Mitti. You may make a face pack of just Multani Mitti and rose water. Alternatively, you may make a face pack of Multani Mitti, curd and honey.
- Even oily skin needs nourishment, but generally, all forms of nourishment increase the oil consistency in the skin. Therefore, honey is one of the best ways to nourish oily skin as it moisturises it without making it more oily.
- The antiseptic properties of honey are effective in preventing acne and wrinkles. Honey also clears pores and helps in removing excess oil from the skin.
- You may apply a thin layer of honey on your skin and wash it off after some time.
- Raw milk exfoliates the skin and helps to reduce oil formation in the skin. Milk is an excellent natural cleansing agent that does not escalate the level of oil in the skin.
- Milk also nourishes and heals the skin.
- You may use raw milk on your skin with the help of a cotton ball. Dab the cotton ball into the milk and apply it to the face. Wash it off after some time.
- Aloe vera is one of the best herbs found in Ayurveda to cure many skin related problems. The cooling and anti-inflammatory properties of aloe vera help to prevent the formation of acne on the skin. It also removes the excess oil.
- It not only exfoliates but also moisturises the skin and can also be used to cure sunburns and irritation caused due to oily skin.
- You may apply aloe vera on your skin in the form of a thin freshly extracted layer. You may keep it for some time or even overnight before washing it off. Aloe Vera can also be used as a substitute for a face wash for oily skin.
These Ayurvedic herbs and remedies are easily available and are highly effective in removing excess oil from the skin. Not only do they exfoliate the skin but also nourishes and moisturises them. They are natural and do not lead to any side effects on the skin. Most of these can be used in the form of face packs. Use these Ayurvedic remedies to make your skin healthier.
This article is reviewed by Dr. Jyoti Lakhani