Gargling with salt water is a popular home remedy. Salt exhibits antibacterial and anti-inflammatory effects that help to cure an array of health problems. It has been used for generations to cure sore throat, treat dental problems and prevent infections. Therefore, one should gargle with salt water every day in the morning.
Ayurvedic Perspective on Salt Water Gargle
Gargling is known as Kavala in Ayurveda. Ayurveda recommends that one should gargle every day as a part of their regimen. It helps to balance the aggravated Doshas in the body. Gargling with salt water is highly beneficial in pacifying Vata and Kapha Dosha, and therefore, helps to alleviate many respiratory disorders.
8 Benefits of Gargling Salt Water
1. Relieves Sore Throat
Salt water gargling helps to reduce inflammation and pain in the throat. Furthermore, it also helps to cure allergies and infections, which are usually the main reasons behind a sore throat.
2. Treats Respiratory Infections
Salt water gargle is also beneficial in preventing and treating bacterial and viral infections, such as upper respiratory tract infection, mononucleosis, cold, flu, strep throat, tonsillitis, etc.
3. Clears Nasal Congestion
Salt water gargle is highly effective in clearing nasal congestion. It helps to reduce inflammation and remove the excess mucus from your respiratory tract and nasal cavity.
4. Prevents Allergies
Certain allergies can also cause inflammation and result in a sore throat. Salt water gargling helps to prevent and treat these allergies.
5. Eliminates Bad Breath
Bacterias in your mouth can cause bad breath. By effectively eliminating these unwanted bacteria, salt water gargle helps to reduce bad breath.
6. Improves Dental Health
Salt water gargling also helps to prevent and cure several dental health problems, such as toothaches, bleeding gums, gingivitis, etc. It helps to reduce inflammation and remove harmful bacteria from the mouth.
7. Cures Canker Sores
By reducing pain and inflammation, salt water gargle also helps to cure canker sores or mouth ulcers.
8. Maintains the pH Level
Bacterial growth may cause acidity in the mouth. Salt water gargle helps maintain the pH level of the mouth and eliminate unwanted bacterias, thereby preventing acidity.
How To Do a Salt Water Gargle?
The best time to do a saltwater gargle is during the morning, after brushing your teeth. Ayurveda recommends gargling as a part of your Dinacharya or daily routine. However, you may do it anytime according to your convenience.
- Take 250 ml of lukewarm water and mix ¼ to ½ teaspoon of salt in it.
- Fill your mouth with a large and comfortable sip of this water.
- Slightly tilt your head back so that the liquid covers the back of your throat.
- Then, start making an ‘aaah’ sound as you let the liquid bubble in your mouth. Remember to not swallow any liquid.
- Continue with this for 30 seconds and then swish the water around the mouth and teeth.
- Then, spit the water in the sink and gargle with the remaining liquid.
- Wash your mouth with fresh water to remove any bacteria.
Cautions to Take While Doing a Salt Water Gargle
- Do not add too much salt. It can dehydrate your mouth and cause throat problems.
- Take a large but comfortable amount of liquid in your mouth. Otherwise, it may prevent you from gargling efficiently.
- Avoid swallowing the salt water gargle. It may contain bacteria from your mouth.
Saltwater gargle is an effective home remedy to cure and prevent several health problems such as sore throat, nasal congestion, respiratory infections, toothaches, mouth ulcers, etc. They are very safe, easy to prepare and highly successful in reducing inflammation and pain in the throat.