Wheatgrass or Triticum aestivium is a nutraceutical or a type of food that provides an array of health and medical benefits, including the prevention and treatment of various diseases.
It has been categorized as a superfood due to its high nutritional content, which includes a good amount of chlorophyll and flavonoids. It is also packed with vitamins like vitamins A, C, and E and minerals like iron, calcium, and magnesium, which make the wheatgrass benefits legendary.
Whether it is building red blood cells quickly, curing anemia, normalizing blood pressure by dilating the blood vessels, or even acting as a cancer-fighting agent, the benefits of wheatgrass are backed by scientific research. This article will explore 12 proven benefits of wheatgrass that make it a powerful addition to any diet. Irrespective of the form it is consumed in, the wheatgrass powder benefits or the wheatgrass juice benefits cannot be denied in supporting overall health and well-being.
What is wheatgrass?
To answer the question of what is wheatgrass, it is essential to know about nutraceuticals. These are types of foods or food products that boast immense health benefits. As a type of nutraceutical, these young leaves of the wheat plant can prevent chronic diseases, delay aging, improve health, and increase life expectancy. The herb is commonly found in India and can be easily grown in small pots and trays in individual households to enjoy the wheatgrass powder benefits or wheatgrass juice benefits at no additional cost.
12 Proven Benefits of Wheatgrass
Wheatgrass can be consumed in various ways, such as juice, powder form, and several others, and is widely used in medicines to treat ailments ranging from diabetes to cancer. They are rich in various nutrients and have antibacterial, anti-hyperglycaemic, antioxidant, , and anti-inflammatory properties.
Here are some of the most essential wheatgrass benefits.
1. Serves as a detoxifying agent
Wheatgrass benefits help an individual gain therapeutic benefit, and it also works as a popular and effective detoxifying agent.
2. Increase hemoglobin levels
3. Treatment of cancer
Wheatgrass is an antioxidant and general detoxifier that helps treat various diseases like cancer. Tests have proven that wheatgrass works against lipid peroxidation and thus decreases oxidative stress.
4. Works on kidney-related ailments
Yet another of the several wheatgrass juice benefits is its effect on stones, inflammation of the urinary bladder, and inflammation of the kidneys. 
5. For treating diseases connected with the reproductive organs
6. Protects the liver against Alcohol
Studies have proven that wheatgrass benefits include protecting the liver against alcohol and PUFA-induced oxidative stress. 
7. Aids in cases of obesity and ulcerative colitis
8. Works as an anti-asthmatic and anti-allergic agent
Being a rich source of vitamins and antioxidants, wheatgrass juice benefits are many. They have been proven to help lower respiratory symptoms and increase lung function. 
9. Remedy for teeth and gum complaints
Wheatgrass is effective for various teeth and gum problems.
10. Works for joint pains
11. Good for skin disease
Wheatgrass extract comprises topical anti-inflammatory, immunomodulatory substances that bring a range of healing properties.
12. Relieves ear pain
1. Can you enjoy the wheatgrass powder benefits by drinking it with milk?
Yes, wheatgrass powder benefits can be gained by blending it with milk or even water and then drinking it. Other components, such as certain fruits and nuts, can also be added to make it more interesting.
2. What is the best time of the day to take wheatgrass?
It is recommended that you take wheatgrass on an empty stomach every morning as this can allow it to get easily absorbed into the blood.
3. Can wheatgrass be consumed in place of vegetables?
No, wheatgrass cannot replace vegetables as it might not comprise all the nutrients that are found in the various vegetables.
Wheatgrass is a top-rated product in the Ayurvedic world for its potent antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. In this article, we explored 12 of the most unique and proven wheatgrass benefits in its different forms, whether wheatgrass powder benefits or its benefits in a juiced form.
This article is written from a health and wellness perspective only and is not a piece of medical advice. Kindly seek the help of a certified medical practitioner before initiating any treatment.
- Wheat grass health benefits
- Hypoglycaemic role of wheatgrass and its effect on carbohydrate metabolic enzymes in type II diabetic rats
- Chlorophyll revisited: anti-inflammatory activities of chlorophyll a and inhibition of expression of TNF-α gene by the same
- Hepatoprotective Role of Wheatgrass on Alcohol and ΔPUFA-Induced Oxidative Stress in Rats
- The Effect of Wheatgrass Lyophilizate on Blood Clotting Time in Rats
- Multifunctional role of green blood therapy to cure for many diseases