According to Ayurveda, roses have Vata and Pitta pacifying properties. It is a cooling herb that helps to reduce excess heat in the body and alleviate associated disorders. It also helps to boost energy in the body. Therefore, it is notably used in Ayurvedic medicines and Indian recipes. One such recipe which uses rose petals is Gulkand.
What Is Gulkand?
Gulkand or rose petals jam is a traditional Indian recipe that involves sugar and rose petals. Gul means rose and Kand means sweet. It is known for its myriad health benefits and is widely used to rejuvenate the body. It can be preserved for months and used as a natural appetiser or as a sweetener in desserts.
What are the Benefits of Gulkand?
- Boosts Gut Health: Gulkand helps to improve digestion and appetite. It is highly effective in relieving constipation and treating mild haemorrhoids. Due to its Pitta pacifying properties, Gulkand is one of the best recipes to boost gut health in the body.
- Relieves Hyperacidity: Gulkand is highly effective in reducing acidity in the stomach and treating heartburns. It also helps to treat and prevent disorders caused due to excess heat in the body such as mouth ulcers, peptic ulcers, nosebleeds, etc.
- Enhances Skin Health: Rich in antioxidants, Gulkand helps to clear the pimples, acne and blemishes from the skin. It is a natural detoxifier and helps to give a clear complexion and glow to the skin. Furthermore, it helps to reduce excess heat in the body and prevent any further skin-related problems.
- Relieves Menstrual Problems: Gulkand is a natural remedy to relieve menstrual pain and cramps. It helps to soothe and strengthen the muscles of the uterus and prevent heavy and irregular bleeding during menstruation. It is also effective in treating excessive white discharge in women.
- Relieves Fatigue: Gulkand helps to rejuvenate the body and boost energy levels. It helps to alleviate lethargy, fatigue and body ache.
- Boosts Eye Health: Owing to its Pitta-pacifying properties, Gulkand helps to improve vision. It also helps to reduce redness, irritation and swelling in the eyes, boosting the overall eye health in the body.
- Calms Nervous System: Gulkand helps to alleviate stress and calm the nervous system in the body. The cooling properties of Gulkand help to rejuvenate the mind and provide a good quality of sleep.
How to Prepare Gulkand at Home?
Preparing Gulkand at home is very convenient. The only ingredients you need are rose petals, sugar and a glass jar. Read the instructions below to make your own Gulkand at home.
- Take about 250 gms of rose petals and wash them properly.
- Drain the excess water from the rose petals and leave them to dry.
- After they are completely dried, take a glass jar and some sugar. If you do not prefer eating very sweet Gulkand, you may take around 250 gms of sugar. However, if you want your Gulkand to be very sweet, then you may use about 450 gms of sugar. You may also use Mishri in place of sugar to make the recipe healthier.
- You can also add cardamom powder to the sugar for enhanced taste and increased Pitta-pacifying properties.
- Now, place your rose petals in the jar. After a layer of rose petals, put a layer of sugar. Continue with this process till you have filled your jar with alternate layers of rose petals and sugar.
- The next step is to keep your jar in the sun for about one month. Keep stirring it with a dry spoon every day during that time.
- Your Gulkand will be ready after 20-30 days. You may keep it in the refrigerator and use it for months.
- To use Gulkand, simply add 2-3 teaspoons of the mixture to the milk and drink it once a day. You can also use it as a spread on chapatis and bread.
Gulkand is an Ayurvedic medicine and an Indian sweet recipe made from rose petals and sugar. It is a natural detoxifier and helps to rejuvenate the body. It also helps to alleviate various Pitta disorders in the body. Regular consumption of Gulkand can help to boost energy levels and improve your gut, skin, eye and uterus health.