Wheatgrass is the name of the young grass that grows on a wheat plant. It is a dry and bright green grass, vastly used in natural and holistic medicines such as Ayurveda. It belongs to the family of the Triticum Aestivum plant and is known to be one of the best sources of chlorophyll.
Wheatgrass offers many nutrients and health benefits to the body, and therefore, is used to treat numerous diseases and disorders. The best and the most convenient way to consume wheatgrass is in the form of juice.
Nutrients in Wheatgrass Juice
Wheatgrass juice contains many vitamins and nutrients such as iron, calcium, enzymes, magnesium, phytonutrients, amino acids, vitamins A, vitamin C, vitamin E, vitamin K, chlorophyll and protein. It exhibits anti-inflammatory, antioxidant and antibacterial properties and is often regarded as a superfood.
Benefits of Wheatgrass Juice
- Helps in Detoxification:
Wheatgrass juice helps to eliminate harmful toxins from the body and prevent many diseases and disorders that develop as a result of toxin accumulation.
- Improves Digestion:
The enzymes present in wheatgrass juice helps to boost digestion in the body and treat many gastrointestinal disorders, such as constipation, bloating, indigestion, irritable bowel syndrome, abdominal discomfort, etc.
- Boosts Metabolism:
Wheatgrass juice is highly effective in improving metabolic activities in the body. Therefore, it is one of the best natural remedies to lose weight.
- Lowers Cholesterol Levels:
Wheatgrass juice is also known to lower the levels of cholesterol in the body, and therefore, helps to boost your heart health.
- Boosts Immune System:
Rich in antioxidants, wheatgrass juice helps boost the functioning of the immune system, thereby keeping many diseases at bay.
- Alleviates Chronic Inflammation:
Chronic inflammation can cause many diseases such as cancer, heart diseases, etc. Wheatgrass juice exhibits anti-inflammatory properties and helps to reduce inflammation in the body.
- Improves Energy Levels:
The nutrients present in the wheatgrass juice helps to provide nourishment to the body and boost your energy levels. In addition, it also helps to get rid of impurities in the body and makes you feel rejuvenated and energized.
- Lowers Blood Pressure Levels:
The chlorophyll present in wheatgrass juice helps increase blood count, purify the blood and improve blood circulation in the body. Therefore, it is highly beneficial in regulating blood pressure levels in the body.
- Improves Cognitive Functions:
Wheatgrass juice helps to improve cognitive functions in the body, boost mental health and relieve anxiety. It is also highly effective in treating Alzheimer’s disease.
- Aids in Diabetes Management:
Wheatgrass juice helps lower the glycemic index of the foods and regulate the levels of blood sugar in the body. Therefore, it is one of the best home remedies to manage diabetes.
- Helps with Arthritis:
The anti-inflammatory properties of wheatgrass juice help relieve many symptoms of arthritis, such as stiffness, pain, swelling, etc. Therefore, it helps to reduce the discomfort caused due to arthritis.
- Kills Cancerous Cells:
The high levels of antioxidants present in wheatgrass juice help to prevent, inhibit and kill cancerous cells in the body. It also helps to boost the effectiveness of chemotherapy and reduce its adverse effects.
How To Make Wheatgrass Juice?
- If you have fresh wheatgrass, then take 25-30 grams and add water to it. Then, blend it to make juice. Consume it within 20 minutes of juicing.
- If you have wheatgrass powder, then take ½ teaspoon of the powder and add half a cup of water to it. Mix it well and consume it once or twice a day.
Tips and Precautions:
- Take only a small dose of wheatgrass juice initially and gradually increase your dose. It will help your body adjust to digesting wheatgrass juice.
- Although there are no adverse effects of taking wheatgrass juice, some people may experience some common side effects that will go away in a week or two. These side effects may include nausea, headache, constipation, fever, etc.
- Pregnant or lactating mothers should avoid taking wheatgrass juice as it may cause allergic reactions.
- Drink wheatgrass juice within 20 minutes of juicing. Otherwise, it may result in the loss of nutrients.
Wheatgrass juice is rich in antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties and may help prevent and manage various diseases, such as diabetes, cancer, heart diseases, arthritis, gastrointestinal disorders, etc. It is highly rich in chlorophyll, enzymes and vitamins, making it one of the best natural remedies. However, it is advised to consult an expert before adding it to your diet.