Are you suffering from acidity? Do you want to treat acidity naturally?
If yes, then keep reading to find the best Ayurvedic home remedies for acidity that can also help prevent it in future.
What Is Hyperacidity?
Hyperacidity, or Amlapitta, is one of the most common problems in the world. It is a condition caused by an imbalance between the acid-secreting mechanism of the stomach and proximal intestine and the protective mechanism that ensures their safety (1).
In simpler words, when your stomach secretes excess acid which is needed for digestion, it leads to acidity (1).
What Are the Causes of Acidity? (1)
Some of the leading causes of acidity include:
- Excessive consumption of hot spices like clove, garlic, etc.
- Excessive intake of salty, sour, spicy and oily foods.
- Excessive consumption of fast foods
- Excessive intake of tea and coffee
- Lesser intake of water
- Skipping meals or eating late at night
- Lack of rest and leading a stressful lifestyle
- Insufficient sleep at night
- Suppression of natural urges
- Excessive exposure to sun and fire
- Excessive anxiety, worry, fear, etc.
Ayurveda says that all these factors can lead to an aggravation of Pitta Dosha in the body and cause acidity.
What Are the Signs & Symptoms of Acidity? (1)
Some common signs and symptoms of acidity include:
- Heart and chest burn
- Nausea and vomiting
- Throat burn
- Gaseous distention, pain or heaviness in the abdomen
- Chest pain
- Headache and migraines
- Bad breath
- Excessive thirst and tiredness
Ayurvedic Herbs for Acidity (2)
Some of the best Ayurvedic herbs for acidity include:
- Sunthi or dry ginger
All these herbs are safe to use and can be easily used at home. However, you must consult an Ayurvedic doctor before consuming any of these herbs as the constitution of every person is different.
Home Remedies For Acidity Backed by Ayurveda
- Mix coriander seeds with sugar and take it twice a day (1).
- Take the water obtained from the green fruit of coconut twice a day (1).
- Mix Amla powder (about 3-6 gm) with water and drink it (1).
- Take fennel seeds or Saunf and mix them with sugar. Add the mixture to a glass of water and take it twice a day (1).
- After eating food, chew ½ teaspoon of fennel seeds every day (1).
- Practice Yoga every day. The best Yoga Asanas for acidity are Halasana (Plough Pose), Vajrasana (Thunderbolt Pose), Pawanmuktasana (Wind-Relieving Pose), Paschimottanasana (Seated Forward Bend Pose), Bhujangasana (Cobra Pose) and Matsyasana (Fish Pose) (2).
- Take a cup of lukewarm milk after every 2 to 3 hours (1).
- Add 1 teaspoon of ghee with warm milk and take it once a day (1).
- Eat light and fully cooked food rich in cooling properties (1).
- Take adequate sleep and rest and eat your meals on time (1).
The Final Takeaway
Acidity is one of the major problems in the world nowadays. However, with the help of Ayurvedic herbs and home remedies, you can easily control acidity.
But you must remember that these home remedies alone cannot treat acidity permanently. Acidity is caused by poor dietary and lifestyle habits. Therefore, you need to eat a healthy diet and follow a healthy lifestyle to prevent acidity from recurring.